Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dare I say Deband?

Well it's been about 5-6 weeks since my last post. I went for my f/u last week where my ortho was debating removing my braces. I was shocked. I was very tempted but I knew I wasn't ready as my last molars on both sides of my mouth were not touching. Also my lower right canine needs a little bit more tweaking. So after explaining this my ortho recommended something similar to what I was already doing. In other words, more of the same. My arch wires were changed to a more flexible wire to help move a couple molars as one is tipped a little bit in. I am to wear tight "Debbie" bands at night in a box formation at night and then "Bummers" during the day. On the left I wear a upside down triangle only while sleeping. On that side I can wear less resistance since we are just trying to keep everything in place. Overall the ortho is very excited with the results. I know my case was a bit difficult and my teeth are a million times better than what they were. He said the brackets will come off at my next appointment which is January 7th. At this appointment I will finally receive my retainers.

The plan was a 2 year treatment. My estimated completion date was set for april 2009. I have to admit that I left this appointment shocked. I didn't really expect to be done this early. But then I recalled the OS saying that after surgery that the teeth tend to move faster post surgery. I have a feeling that there will be a couple things that I will not be happy with but I need to realize that is nearly impossible to have every single perfect. Its weird to think that next month I will be able to eat random foods and worry about food getting caught to my braces and then having to run to brush my teeth. Looking back it feels like this process has taken forever but in reality its only been and its crazy to think its only been a little over 19 months.


Lastly, we have the dreaded numbness. The numbness seems to be getting better. As of right now the right chin/lip is still lagging behind the left but even its getting better. The right side feels what the left side felt like back in september/october. I am hopeful that in 2-3 months things will level out...hopefully. I honestly think that things will be at least near normal. I have feeling all over. It just feels tingling when I touch it. All in all I still do not have any regrets. I am happy with the choices that I have made. I might have considered the other procedure a little bit more but the idea of 6 weeks completely wired shut is not something I would like. The good thing about being banded shut is the bands will give after a while. And the funniest thing is I have only used my magic bullet once since I have been unbanded and I have only had 2 smoothies. LOL

No comments: