Monday, August 11, 2008

Banded Mouth:1 Me:0

Well I have been counting down the days from last wednesday. I couldn't wait to see Dr Edwards and maybe have these bands removed or at least be told to come back next wednesday which would be 28days post op (4weeks). But alas none of that happened today. I go in and have one of the fellows take a look in my mouth. The sutures look good and incision is healing well. Dr Edwards wanted xrays so I get taken back. Dr Edwards walks in while I was in the xray room and comments that he doesn't see an open bite and that everything looks good. He is happy with my midline and my overall recovery. This was great news....until I go back to the evaluation room. The original resident Armond from last wednesday walks in and says my bite does look better but I would have to be banded tight 2 weeks from this wednesday. I was floored. I even asked to make sure he meant 2 wednesday away and not next wednesday. Armond stated I have to come back on the 27th. So this shatters my whole world. I immediately become depressed. I check out, schedule the date, and slowly head back to work. The nice thing was everyone was rooting for me at work and they all empathized with me when I told them the news. I moped around for several hours but now I am feeling better. On sunday, I had a rough time with some blended soup so this threw me back. I added some rice but the rice wasn't small enough to fit in small spaces in my teeth. I even tried the syringe and I ended up wearing the soup. LOL But today, I found that Campbell's chunky Chicken, Broccoli Cheese, and Potato soup is not only delicious, but when blended comes out very smooth. So I am now trying to put together a list of soups that blends well. Classic chunky chicken noodle works well also. Well if I had known I would be banded for 3 weeks, I might have decided to go for the other procedure where I would be wired shut for 6 weeks. But then again, I will only be banded like this for 3 weeks total so not too bad. I might call the office just to make sure I have to wait 2 more weeks. I am just worried about getting out of these rubber bands so late. I travel with work that weekend where meals will be in restaurants and sometimes we would get subs and chips. I am just hoping that I will be able to increase some ROM within 2-3 days so I can at least eat with a normal sized fork or spoon. And with a numb lip and chin, I am sure I will be wearing my food. LOL I am not worried about what foods to eat in restaurants. I will be fine with mashed potatoes, soups, and/or flaky fish. I was just wish I had at least a a week under my belt so that I could have some time work on ROM. Now that I am thinking of it, I think I will try to have the appointment date moved up to at least monday of that week instead of wednesday. I will call tomorrow to see if its possible. I know its not much but having at least 2 extra days will be helpful. I think it would be a good compromise. I need to hurry as that monday may be full.

No comments: