Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Good Eats...

Well originally I wasn't planning on making a post today since my first post op is tomorrow. But today I have been thinking about food. Not all kinds of foods but my food and my diet. I am surprised that I haven't made a daily menu of the things I whip together. At least a drink of the day. I think I avoided this because time really does fly by. I remember not too long ago I was wishing and praying for a week to past then wishing for my post op to come and tomorrow is the day. Time flew! I hope it continues to fly because I need to eat some solid foods stat.

Well back to the subject. I find it funny that I bought a ton of stuff to prepare for my recovery. From juices, frozen fruits, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, canned fruit, etc. Eventually I grew tired of the same smoothies from my smoothie and juice book that I had to branch out for more. Ok I only use about 20% of this book because 80% is filled with juice/smoothie concoctions that I wouldn't give to my worse enemy. I mean who really wants a smoothie made with avocado? Not to mention that I had avocados. Just plain disgusting. Ok well I moved to online searches and I began to see more and more recipes calling for protein powder and surprisingly oatmeal. The funny thing is I bought a huge variety box of Quaker instant flavored oatmeal and it has been sitting on top of my fridge. I noticed it at the right time too because my body was getting used to these smoothies and I was becoming hungry after a couple hours of consumption.

So my diet consist of 3 blended smoothies with some "snacks" in between. For breakfast, I would whip up some kind of fruit smoothie. I make sure to add yogurt, soy milk, bananas, and now oatmeal. The oatmeal seems to help tide me over to lunch. I change up the juices and frozen fruits. I love frozen strawberries and pineapple juice. Sometimes I would touch off the drink with a splash of pomegranate juice. I have other juices and fruits but those mentioned seem to be the main stay. One thing that I do is I pulse the oatmeal first until its powder like with the centrum vitamin.

For lunch I would have something savory. Early on after surgery I had campbell's tomato soup. I made sure to pick up some sour cream and parmesan cheese to make it rich and creamy. Unfortunately I grew tired of this after the second day of it and needed something different. I also had chicken broth but with it being only 20 calories per can, it wouldn't last long in my system. So I knew I needed to go out and buy something else. But what? I had a can of beef stew a friend gave me when I was sick but I haven't eaten it because beef soup is the last thing anyone would want to eat when sick. LOL But seeing that can gave me an idea. I needed something hearty with noodles, rice, and potatoes. So I headed to the store and bought some chunky soups. I warmed it up in the microwave and blended it in the magic bullet. 4 days after surgery, I couldn't believe that I didn't think of blending soups to drink with a straw. My first soup was classic chicken noodle. At first sip, I was in heaven. It did taste different since everything was blended together but it was so good to have something other than tomato soup. Sadly I have like 20 cans of tomato soup. At least can goods can keep for some time and once I am debanded I will have a field day cooking different stuff with it. I even bought some baby gourmet potatoes to mix in with some of the soups for more carbs. I also remembered that I have a bunch of rice and cooked some up and added it to some vegetable soup. I even added chicken broth to the vegetable soup to help expand it and make it last a couple days.

I would usually get hungry several hours after lunch so I go for a snack. I would either come up with a juice or attack some applesauce with a straw. One time I blended some fresh watermelon, grape juice, and pomegranate juice together and it was interesting and tasty.

And lastly comes dinner. My dinner is not your normal dinner. At this point, I am tired of the healthy fruits and juices. I also do not crave anything savory. So I go for a milkshake. I made everything from vanilla, banana, chocolate, strawberry-chocolate, and even peanut butter-chocolate-and banana. I make it somewhat healthy by adding soy milk. I am slightly lactose intolerant so soy milk is perfect. I bought regular soy milk once and hated the taste but now I have vanilla flavored. I haven't tried the milk outside of a milkshake nor a smoothie so I do not know how it taste but I do know that I can't really tell when its mixed with other things.

I also drink 32 -48oz of water to make sure I stay hydrated. So in a nutshell that is my diet. So tomorrow will await to hear how my recovery is going. Hopefully all is well and I will be able to brush the inside of my teeth and possibly stop swishing with peroxide and saline.

No comments: