Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rubber bands, headaches, and hot flashes...Oh my!

So it is now day 5. This is the dreaded day that everyone told me to watch out for. I thought I would be ok but that was not the case. I had a good day yesterday and even discovered that Butter Pecan Ensure is actually pretty tasty. I also noticed how badly I would like to brush the inside of my mouth/teeth but alas I can't. I am pretty anal when it comes to the hygiene of my teeth and this is killing me lol I pray that I will be able to brush the inside of my mouth/teeth at my adjustment. If not, I will beg. So I had company over and they were surprised at how well I was able to talk and how not too swollen I was. I go through bouts of pain but usually in the middle or near the end up my dosings of meds. I tried to wean myself off the Lortab and used mostly ibuprofen yesterday. Well once my company left, I became exhausted. So I opted to shower and head to bed...er...recliner...instead of going for a walk. I took my meds and headed off to sleep. Well this was the worse sleep since surgery. My right TMJ was sore, I couldn't get comfortable due to a sore shoulder muscle, and random hot flashes. It was pretty miserable. At one point I felt a pop in my mouth and I knee something was wrong. I also noticed that my right TMJ wasn't sore anymore. So I got up and looked in the mirror to see what is up. Well of course one of my bands broke and I stood there thinking how in the world will I fix this. This particular rubber band is in charge of shifting my midline over. And not only that, this band is double banded on itself. In other words, this one thick rubber band is flipped on itself and placed on hooks to form a tighter fit. So after fighting with several bands, I managed to get the band on after 30-40min. I know I did it right because I immediately experience intense pain in my right TMJ. Since it was time for my next dose, I opted for the Lortab and attempted to get some rest which was useless. I did manage to sleep 4-5 hours after that. For breakfast I tried a pinneapple juice, oreange juice, banana, strawberry yogurt, and a little dash of pomegranate/mango juice smoothie. This actually turned out really well. Since my jaw was still sore, I opted forthe syringe instead of a straw. I did my usual of updated friends and family, checked email, and watched some tv. Eventually, I grew tired and feel asleep. I awake and notice I was sweating. It was strange since I had the AC at the same tempt since I returned home and the temp outside wasn't any hotter. I touched my head and noticed a pool of sweat and that my head was hot. Surprisingly my cheeks were ok considereing. I have been icing like mad since surgery. I think the swelling has stabilized for the most part. So I am either getting used to my cheeks or I think I am actually getting better. I doubt the latter. So at this point, I feel really hot and have an intense headache with the TMJ pain. I felt miserable. I also felt helpless since I had like 4 hours before I could take my next dose. I managed to get through it after a couple hours of rest and take some ibuprofen and I immediately feel better. I turned the AC up a little and a fan. Crazy I know but it working. I need to take my temp to make sure I am not running a fever. Later on I take my temp and notice it is only 97.1F but at this point it is much later than when I experienced most of my sweating. I think it was due to all the swelling in my face which made me hot. Well if it was a fever, at least it broke. I did go for a nice 30 minute walk. Unfortunately, it wiped me out. So I drank an ensure, showered, and went to bed. I made sure to take some ibuprofen before bed instead of the Lortab as it seems to work longer and better. Went to bed at one and slept comfortably until about 9am. Thinking back, aside from being reubber banded for the first time, this is by far the worst day. Dreaded day 5....

No comments: